to see what shows up. I found some 10+ arrests

on the initial search. I didn’t even bother with

aliases or convictions. Suffice it to say,

court records will outlive us all.

Full Story »

Community

Profile in Community: Creating a Legacy of Change in Merced

Posted June 28, 2017 by Hannah Esqueda

Above: Alex Carrillo may be a recent transplant to Merced but he’s already leaving his mark on the city–making the most vulnerable communities feel seen and heard. (Photo provided by Alex Carrillo)   By Hannah Esqueda MERCED, Calif. — At a smooth 25 years old, community organizer and businessman Alex Carrillo is already looking to […]

Full Story »

Community

Health Advocates Warn Federal Policies Can Hurt Immigrants’ Health

Posted June 9, 2017 by Hannah Esqueda

Above: Dozens of residents gathered in Winton earlier this year for one of several Know Your Rights events hosted by community groups and immigrant advocates throughout Merced County. Photo courtesy of MOP Merced Facebook page.  By Hannah Esqueda MERCED, Calif. — Immigrant rights groups and health advocates are keeping a close eye on national, state […]

Full Story »

Community

California Youth Weigh In: Mental Health

Posted May 18, 2017 by Hannah Esqueda

(This post originally appeared on theknowfresno.org and represents a collection of youth voices from YouthWire and partner media groups throughout the state. Special thanks to The kNOw Youth Media Program Manager and Editor, Kody Stoebig.) Editor’s Note: May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Since 1949, May has been dedicated to educating the public about the reality of […]

Full Story »

Community

Five Reasons Why ‘13 Reasons Why’ Is Harmful to Young People

Posted May 18, 2017 by Hannah Esqueda

Above: Recently released on Netflix, “13 Reasons Why” has drawn criticism for its portrayal of mental health issues as they affect teens.  By Aaliyah Jensen Editor’s Note: According to the Center for Disease Control, suicide is the second leading cause of death for people aged 10 to 24. Youth reporter shares her reaction to the […]

Full Story »