Community

• Merced’s Lee Lor closes in on history as first Hmong woman elected to local office

November 18, 2016 /

“I got a lot of support from other people of color in the area, which I think is important,” Lor said. “Being in the community for so long, it was frustrating to speak but not be heard and to see but not be seen.” Growing up in Merced County, Lor said she is intimately familiar with many of the struggles residents still face and has worked hard over the last 15 years to help strengthen the community.

County Supervisor  history  Hmong  Hmong women  Lee Lor  merced  spotlight  
  • Because Trump won say hello

November 10, 2016 /

I won’t be expecting to see any more anti-bullying ads anymore since the biggest bully will be taking control of America in January, 2017.

bully  hope  love  Politics  president  spotlight  Trump  U.S. elections  
  • Hmong Political Forum Makes History in Merced

November 9, 2016 /

The bilingual forum drew nearly 70 people and was a joint effort from BHC Merced’s Neighborhood Action Team, Health Equity Project and the Merced Organizing Project. Organizers invited all the candidates running for Merced City Council Districts 1, 3 and 5 - the only three district seats up for grabs this election year.

BHC Merced  bilingual  candidates  city council  community  Health Equity Project  Hmong  merced  MOP Merced  Politics  spotlight  
  • We’Ced Presents: Meet your Merced Candidates- Necola Adams

November 4, 2016 /

I am trying to bring an annual Nut Festival to Merced, to really make us a destination place while creating jobs for our citizens including a summer youth employment program for ages 16-19. I want to bring all the communities together to focus on how to move Merced together in a positive way that will include UC Merced students and fostering an atmosphere where they can use the skills they have acquired, creating new tech companies and expanding our health care while giving back to the community through helping with students in our city schools. This will help elevate ALL areas of our community creating jobs, which promotes public safety by lowering the crime level.

city council  elections  merced  Merced Mayor  Necola Adams  Politics  spotlight  
  • We’Ced Presents: Meet your Merced Candidates- Daniel Sabzehzar

November 4, 2016 /

Growing up in the Valley shaped me. It made me who I am and the problems I’m passionate to solve. Merced is home, and it’s desperately in need of help. Our crime rate is among the nation's highest. Over a third of our people [live] below the poverty line, and our children suffer from epidemics of chronic disease. But we also have world-class resources and, if we do things right, a chance to really reinvent Merced and transform the region that raised me.

Daniel Sabzezhar  District 5  elections  Mercity City Council  Politics  spotlight  uc merced  
  • We’Ced Presents: Meet your Merced Candidates- Christopher Ramirez

November 4, 2016 /

I like to bring forth a stronger investment in our youth. One idea I have is to work with Downtown businesses to create a summer youth internship program with the city. Often our youth have nothing to do in the summer; and I want to make sure we are investing in them and keeping them off the street especially from those members of our community who are looking to recruit them into gangs.

Christopher Ramirez  city council  District 3  elections  merced  merced city council  spotlight  youth